Grade 234 R

Grade 234 R at Malmsbury Primary School

Hello from Rainer

| 0 comments

Hi everyone, I am writing to you to formally introduce myself to the parents of the children in the grade 1/2 classroom. My name is Rainer Canobie-Harris; I have recently completed my Bachelor of Education at La Trobe University in Bendigo. This is my first year out as a qualified teacher and look forward to learning as much as I can from the staff and students at Malmsbury PS.

I grew up relatively close to Malmsbury in Chewton and went right through school in Castlemaine where I currently live with my wife.  I consider myself to be a very open, understanding and approachable person and I would like to extend an invitation to all parents and carers of the students within my room to feel free to contact me at any time the best way to this is via email the best address to reach me on is: rcanobie-harris@malmsburyps.vic.edu.au or canobie-harris.rainer.r@edumail.vic.gov.au

In Grade 1/2 we read for half an hour first thing each morning, I would be happy (and I am sure the kids would be too) for any parents or special family friends to come in and listen to the children read during this time, obviously no obligation and if you can some weeks and you can’t others that’s fine.

Take home readers

Take home reading should be easy and enjoyable and in the early years be familiar books that have been read before

• It should allow the student to rehearse the strategies that he/she is learning in class take home books that are easier to get started
  • Often after the long break students forget some skills and strategies and need to go back to easier books to rebuild confidence and skill.

Our focuses this term are:

Literacy – This term in literacy we will be focusing on narratives, we will look at how to write them and discuss what is meant when we talking about the orientation, complication and resolution. We will focus on incorporating this language into our own writing as well as identifying and addressing these aspects in our reading.

Numeracy – In term one there will be a focus on Number and Algebra – Addition, Subtraction Multiples of ten, Skip counting by 2’s, 5’s and 10’s, Measurement and Geometry – Months of the year, Seasons, Geometrical shapes & Statistics and Probability. 

Inquiry – the focus for inquiry this term is community.

Events coming up in term one

Camp 

This year grade 1/2 will be going on camp to the Discovery centre in Bendigo, the camp will be in April on the 23rd and 24th. There will be a number of planned activities organised for the children including a visit to the art gallery and the Chinese museum. I will send out more information regarding this within the next week or so.

Ride to school day

On the 13th of March it is national ride to school day, Malmsbury primary encourages all students to take part in this health promoting fun activity, we understand not everyone has a bike so we’ve adapted ride to school to wheels day, scooters skateboards etc.  More information on this will be released soon.